Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Green Peas and Fresh Herbs
A healthier but decadent creamy pasta recipe that requires only a handful of ingredients and is done in no time! Using kamut, quinoa or lentil pasta boosts the fibre and protein content greatly which lowers the glycemic load for a steady release of energy. Using ricotta cheese gives this pasta a very creamy sauce base while adding more additional protein. Fresh lemon and herbs lighten the dish and bring the flavours all together.
Prep and Cook time is less than 15 minutes.
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2-5 raw minced garlic cloves depending on your garlic preference
1/2 cup full fat ricotta cheese - Grass fed, Organic if possible
the zest and juice of one lemon
1/2 cup green peas
4 tbsp chopped fresh dill and or parsley
4 ounces whole grain linguine noodles (I used Kamut, I also like to use Quinoa, Brown Rice or lentil Pastas)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil
2. While water is boiling, prep your garlic, herbs and zest your lemon
3. Add a pinch of salt and your noodles to your water, cook until desired texture, time will differ along with the type of pasta you choose
4. As the noodles are cooking, heat your oil in a medium sauce pan over low-med temperature, add garlic and sauté until fragrant, less than 2 minutes
5. Stir in ricotta, peas, lemon zest, salt and pepper, once this mixture is heated and almost at a simmer, turn the heat off
6. Strain your noodles, add them to your sauce with lemon juice and herbs, stir until well combined.
Serve topped with additional fresh herbs if desired. I like to pair this pasta with a light green salad to balance the meal.