Cream of Wild Mushroom & Thyme Soup!
makes 4 servings
2-3 tbsp of coconut oil (butter, ghee or avocado oil may also be used instead)
2-3 cups of sliced mushrooms of any kind you like, I recommend to use a variety for a wider nutrient profile and maximum flavour!
1 large leek finely sliced
1 medium cooking onion diced
3-4 large garlic cloves minced
1 small tied bundle of fresh thyme + 1 tbsp chopped (may be subbed for 2 tsp dried)
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 cups of vegetable broth or any alternative broth (a good opportunity to use bone broth here)
1 can of organic full fat coconut milk (when buying chose the can with the least ingredients)
1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat
2. Add onions and fresh thyme to saute' for 3-5 minutes, then add in mushrooms and leeks and continue to sauté until onions are near translucent
3. Stir in your garlic and season with salt and pepper
4. Add broth and simmer for 8-12 minutes until leeks and mushrooms are fully cooked
5. Turn heat to off and carefully remove your herb bundle
6. Stir in half the can of coconut milk, you may wish to use the full can but give your soup a taste test first, you may also want to add more salt, pepper or broth at this point. Save any remaining coconut milk for another purpose if you decide not to use it all
7. Puree your soup right in the same pot with an immersion blender, or puree only a portion leaving a few of the mushrooms chunky for a bit of both worlds
8. Enjoy soup on its own or garnish with fresh parsley!