Orange & Clove Spiced Cranberry Sauce.
The perfect sauce along turkey dinner! A classic cranberry sauce without all the refined sugar and a much higher vitamin C content when made fresh. With a delicious, refreshing hint of orange zest and aromatic warm clove spice that will have your home smelling so cozy and festive! I insist on making this cranberry sauce for every thanksgiving or christmas dinner I attend. Its a huge hit that cranberry people love and I get to eat tons of it without feeling guilty about a bunch of added refined sugar!
The recipe is super simple and takes under 10 minutes! This cranberry sauce can be prepared a day or two before dinner or if properly canned may be stored for a few months.
2.5 cups of fresh or frozen whole cranberries
1 large navel orange
1 - 1.5 tsp dried clove spice, depending how much you like clove
1/4 cup of honey or alternative natural sweetener of choice such as coconut sugar, coconut nectar, maple syrup... stevia could also be substituted to avoid adding sugar entirely
1. Bring cranberries to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat
2. Stir in cloves, the zest and juice of your large orange
3. Continue to simmer sauce, stirring occasionally until desired thickness, keeping in mind when this cranberry sauce cools it will thicken more so
4. Take pan off stove top to cool, after about 5-10 minutes stir in your honey, the sauce should still be very warm but not bubbling hot as the enzymes and benefits of honey are destroyed at a high heat. (If using an alternative sweetener, cooling before is not necessary.)
5. Continue to cool, store or can in a sealable container or jar and serve with turkey!
Leftovers are also delicious with goat cheese or brie and walnuts over crispy crackers, turkey sandwiches, turkey burgers & halibut burgers!